SEED GENETICS & VARIETALS
What is a variety? Fun fact! There are two applications of the term – the botanical term variety, and the legal term variety. The botanical term variety is largely a taxonomic label – it refers to the rank of the term in botanical heirarchy – a variety occupies the space below sub species, but above subvariety.
As a legal term, variety means following the International Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants (UPOV) Convention. For plant breeders’ rights to be granted, the new variety must meet four criteria under the rules established by UPOV.
- The new plant must be novel, which means that it must not have been previously marketed in the country where rights are applied for.
- The new plant must be distinct from other available varieties.
- The plants must display homogeneity.
- The trait or traits unique to the new variety must be stable so that the plant remains true to type after repeated cycles of propagation.
New West Genetics creates AOSCA certified hemp varieties bred for high yield and optimized for mechanical harvestability, as well as for various market traits. To validate the performance of our seed, and to investigate where certain genetics perform best, we regularly enter trials across the US and other countries. See our most recent press release on the performance of our variety RELY in University of Kentucky’s trials. Currently New West Genetics is offering licensing for NWG ELITE®. RELY™ will enter the AOSCA certification process in the 2019 season. Read more about AOSCA certification here.
- Is a dioecious seed bred for high yield grain production.
- Flowers ~58 days after planting.
- Height varies little, ranging from 170-190cm, ideal for wheat or corn harvest tools.
- Is genetically stable in multiple agronomic and chemotypic traits.
- It is the first US-bred hemp variety to pass a Dept of Ag THC trial: Across each region, NWG-ELITE™ showed stability in THC content, with a max of 0.2% (Legal limit is 0.3)
- Performed in top 1-2 rankings in variety trials across the US
- Is AOSCA certified. View the AOSCA Certification & the Certification from CDA
- In preliminary production trials produces at least 1000 lbs/acre.
- CO Seed Lab testing:
- Purity: 99.9%
- Germination: 94-98%
- Weeds: none
- View the Laboratory Report Of Analysis from the Colorado Seed Laboratory
RIGOROUS SELECTION STANDARDS
We take our mission of only completing data based discovery seriously. The first two years of R&D involved a highly selective process. Our average selections were less than 2% of what we grew. Breeding for multiple traits means you must make short term sacrifices in order to create stable, high value varieties. This selection process continues as we develop a wider and more varied portfolio to suit market specifics.
Our traits stand the test of time. We do not release a product until it has been shown to perform consistently for multiple generations. We utilize multiple independent analytics companies to verify our results.